Wednesday, March 30, 2005

My friend Kate..

Today is a very special day in that it is a very important birthday of a very good friend of mine..my friend Kate.

Kate is, well.. it is kind of hard to know where to start as there are just so many facets to her. But I guess the easiest way to put it would be to simply say that Kate is the person that I consider to be my best friend. And she is definitely that. She is the one I can talk to about anything, she is a great listener, a wonderful shoulder to cry on and funny as hell. She has an amazing sense of humour, a gentle soul, a good heart and a beautiful smile. When I talk to her, I know that she isn't just listening but is actually hearing what I am saying and I know, without a doubt, that if I ever needed her, she would be (and has been) right there for me, just as I would be for her. And above all of this, I know that we share a connection with each other that is precious and so very rare...we just *get* each other and throughout the years I have come to realize that this sort of friendship doesn't come along very often.

I can't count the number of nights where we have passed the hours by just talking, talking about anything and everything. And the laughter...oh the laughter. Right from the start of our friendship, it became very apparent that not only did we share many of the same interests and experiences in our lives, but we also shared the same sense of humour. An overheard comment or a shared look is often more than enough to just set us off laughing and there have been more times than I can count that my stomach has actually *ached* from laughing so hard with her at something that I'm sure no one else would find nearly as funny.

Looking back, Kate and I actually met a few times before we really started to become friends and it wasn't really until one night after a get-together at the new home of her and her husband that we really clicked. And from there, it just seemed to snowball. We have so much in common and we share so many similarities that to me, it feels like I have known her forever. And if that isn't the sign of a good friendship, I'm not sure what is.

I guess to me, the most amazing thing is that every time we are together, another memory is made. There are so many times when I find myself saying to her.."Remember when we did..." or "Remember that time when we...". And most often, all that is needed is just a word or a phrase to set us off, like "You be Kid Rock" or "I'll take that one" or "I need a beverage, stat!" or...god, I could go on forever.

I think I have always been aware that Kate and I shared a friendship that was unique and rare but it became even more apparent on the day that the two of us had the opportunity to spend some time with my sister and her husband when they came to visit. I am pretty sure that my sister was actually frightened of how alike we are and that same reaction was shared by my mom the first time she had the pleasure of the full on "Kate and Heather" experience..lol. I'm sure they were wondering if it were possible that there were *two* of me in the world and just how that managed to come to pass.

But regardless of how we got here, the simple fact of the matter is that I can't imagine my life without her in it and I am so very grateful for the gift of her friendship. So if you are reading this Kate (and I hope you are..lol), thank you for this once in a lifetime friendship. Love you.

No comments: