Friday, January 05, 2007

Happy New Year...here's to a fresh start!

Well Christmas has come and gone and once again, we are thrust into the not so cold and barren landscape that is January. Hmm..that sounded rather pessimistic, didn't it? Well, okay then, let's try that again. Christmas was good this year and I was lucky to be able to spend the week between Christmas and New Years all safe and happy at my mom's house surrounded by my husband, my mom, my sister and brother in law and my wonderful one year old nephew. So yes, it was a very good Christmas and I loved being there with them and just enjoying the time we can spend together because it doesn't happen enough.

But inevitably, the time passed far more quickly than I had hoped for and all of a sudden, we were all heading back to our respective corners of our lives and I guess I'm suffering from withdrawal. I miss my family and I miss that warm feeling of being around the people that I love and knowing that they will always love me no matter what I do with my life. I guess that warm and fuzzy feeling is one of the reasons that I look forward to Christmas so much every year and I know that next year will be no different. It will only be better.

So now here I am at the beginning of a new year and although I have tried to stay away from the whole "New Year Resolution" thing, I know a few of them have snuck in there somewhere. I intend to keep on with this whole weight loss thing that I've got going and have made a renewed committment to trying to become inspired again to do it. That is the big one for me, and rightly so, since I know that the next year of my life is going to most likely hold a whole lot in the way of big changes. So I need to focus on myself and getting myself to where I need to be, both emotionally and physically...that is my gift to myself.

Other than that, I'm trying REALLY hard to change my outlook and the way I think about a few different aspects of my life. I know that isn't really giving much in the way of information but let's just say that the last part of 2006 wasn't an easy time for me emotionally in a lot of ways and I lost perspective on a few things in particular. I need to get that perspective back again and start remembering that my life is a pretty awesome place to be. I need to stop dwelling so much on the past and instead, focus on the things in my life that I have some influence over. I have more than enough to be thankful for and sometimes I just need a knock on the head to remember that.

The one thing that I do know is that as I stand here at the beginning of a new year, there is a lot in store for not only myself, but the people in my life. There are so many things that I'm looking forward to, least of which is the arrival of two very special bundles of joy by way of two very special people. And in there somewhere are the plans that we are making for a vacation with my husband and two of our very good friends. Yeah, I know it will be a great year, no matter what.

So this is me saying "Welcome 2007" and all that comes along with it, good and bad. After all, it is our experiences that make us the people that we become. And heaven knows we could all use a bit more experience..heehee.

Oh, and just because I can, I stole this from Aimee at Aimee Thinks. I thought this might shed a bit more light on what makes me the person I am. Thanks Aimee!


ARE YOU:
1. A Cuddler? Oh yeah...it is one of my favourite things to do. I just love that personal contact.
2.A morning person? Definitely not..I love a good morning of sleeping in.
3. Are you a perfectionist? It depends. There are certain parts in my life that I demand perfection of myself and others but as a rule, I would say not really.
4. An only child? No. I have an older sister named Tammy.
5. Catholic? Yes, although not practicing at this point.
6. In your pajamas? Not yet!
7. Currently suffering from a broken heart? There are several forms of a broken heart so...yes.
8. Okay styling other people's hair? Yes, definitely. Even now, I can honestly say I should have been a hair stylist. That was my first instinct!
9. Left handed? Kind of...is that possible? I am mostly right handed but I can do most things with my left hand, just not as well.
10. Addicted to MySpace? No, I have resisted.
11. Shy around the opposite gender? No. I've never been shy around the male population, which I am proud of. Albeit, it has led to problems along the way but I'd rather that than being shy.
12. Loud? It has been known to happen.

DO YOU:
13. Bite your nails? Not any more! I stopped cold turkey in 2006 after biting them all my life.
14. Get paranoid at times? No. I worry more than I suffer from paranoia. I worry about everything.
15. Currently regret something that you have said/done? No. I don't regret it..just worry about it.
16. Curse frequently when you get mad? Only when I'm in the car and driving by myself. Then I curse like a sailor!
17. Enjoy country music? Yes. I have my parents to thank for that!
18. Enjoy jazz music? Every so often. I enjoy "lounge music" (as my husband calls it) more.
19. Enjoy smoothies? Oh yes.
20. Enjoy talking on the phone? I love talking on the phone..always have. My best friend lives far away and we have been known to talk for as many as 8 hours in one sitting.
21. Have a lot to learn? Yes, of course. Every day is a learning experience
22. Have a pet? Yes, a beagle named Jasper.
23. Have a tendency to fall for the "wrong" person? I fell for several "wrong persons" before finally falling for the right one, my husband.
24. Have all your grandparents died? Yes, unfortunately. Lets see if I can remember: 1976, 1992, 1993, 1994.
25. Have at least one sibling? Yes, one older sister named Tammy.
26. Have been told that you are smart? Once or twice along the way.
27. Have had a broken bone? Yes, my tailbone. Does that count if you can't put it in a cast? In typical fashion, I fell down a clay hill in the rain on my first day of college.
28. Have Caller I.D. on your phone? No. There is just something fun about not knowing who might be on the other end. For those few seconds, the possibilities are endless!

HAVE YOU:
29. Changed a diaper? Yes, although not for a while.
30. Changed a lot over the past year? Ohysically, maybe not a lot but definitely some. Mentally, no. Emotionally, yes.
31. Had friends who have never seen your natural hair color? Yes
32. Had surgery? Not major surgery, no. And even the minor stuff was years ago.
33. Killed anyone? Not yet.
34. Had your haircut within the last week? No.

LAST PERSON WHO:
35. Slept in the bed beside you? My husband Adam.
36. Saw you cry? My husband Adam, two nights ago.
37. Went to the movies with you? My husband Adam while indulging my Orlando Bloom obsession.
38. You went to the mall with? Adam..is this getting repetitive?!
39. You went to dinner with?Um...yep, you guessed it...Adam. We apparently do a lot together.
40. You talked to on the phone? Adam..just a couple minutes ago.
41. Said 'I love you' to you and meant it? Adam..on the phone a couple minutes ago!
42. Broke your heart? There is someone although they shall remain nameless. I'm as much to blame as them but it doesn't make it hurt any less and my heart breaks all over again just to think about it.
43. Made you laugh? Adam..he always make me laugh and knows exactly how to do it and when I need it most.

WOULD YOU RATHER?
44. Pierce your nose or tongue? Definitely nose. I always wanted to when I was younger until my dad chased me around the living room with a darning needle. That cured that.
45. Be serious or be funny? Funny. I've always been told that I'm funny and I love being that way. Life would be a lot better if there were more funny people in this world.
46. Drink whole or skim milk? I'm a 1% fan but if I had to choose, I'd err on the skim milk side of things.
47. Die in a fire or drown? Either one sounds pretty horrific. I guess though that burning would be worse..I have a fear of this happening. Hopefully drowning would be less painful and quicker.
48. Spend time with your parents or enemies? Definitely my mom. She is one of my best friends and I love her completely.

ABOUT YOU!
49. What time is it? 5:39..on a Friday, no less! I'm going home.
50. Name? Heather
51. Nickname(s)? Head, Headder, Missy, Precious (don't ask!)
52. Where were you born? Walkerton, Ontario
53. What is your birthdate? June 5th
54. What do you want? To be happy..to be healthy..to be skinny(ier)..to be content..to have children..for daylight savings time to start..and on and on and on..
55. Where do you want to live? At one time it was Price Edward Island...lately it has been Oregon...in reality, I'd be most happy whever I could be surrounded by my family and loved ones.
56. How many kids do you want? I've always only ever wanted two.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Heather! Welcome back! I'm always checking! You've got a great writing style (too bad it's so infrequent!)that I enjoy reading!
{{HUGS}}

Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Happy New Year Friend!
Glad to hear that you had a wonderful holiday and that the fam is doing well.

Keep up the blog, I am sure you have many tidbits of events that you could share with us. P.s you forgot Wendy, unless you are goin by that fulltime now.

Let get together for some coffee/hot coco (tis the season)

Me :0)

B said...

Ok, it's already february, and we're slacking on the blogging.

If needed, I can supply weekly topics :)

Heather said...

Weekly topics might be a good idea, Brie! At least then I can pretend that I have lots of exciting things to talk about..lol!

Kim said...

hi heather, i just wanted to pop in and thank you so much for your kind comment and care.